Favorite Ways to Celebrate Fall
- Prep and plant your winter garden! If you're lucky enough to live somewhere with a mild winter, now is the time to plant. Beets, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, peas, and all kinds of different greens do well in the cool season. Being spoiled in sunny San Diego, this year we are doing beets, carrots, radishes, fennel, chard, spinach and kale.
- Get outside! Go for some walks. Morning, evening, or any time you can get out for a bit. Take your kids to the park. Enjoy the crisp air and the changing colors.
- Eat a pomegranate. Or several. Yum!
- Pumpkin everything...but you already knew that:) Try making a REAL pumpkin spice latte, I like with coconut milk.
- Roast a pumpkin, so you have fresh pumpkin for all of your recipes, and roast the seeds for a yummy snack too.
- Swap out your pumpkin candles for this healthier option.
- Make your own vanilla, but do it soon. It's best if you can let it sit a couple months, and if you make it now it will be ready just in time for Christmas baking or gifts. Just take a couple organic vanilla beans, slit down the middle with a knife, and place in 4oz bottles of vodka. Sur la Table has perfect swing top bottles for this. While you don't need expensive vodka, I would avoid the really cheap stuff. Shake and invert occasionally while it's infusing.
- Apple picking.
- And pumpkin patching of course! We have at least a couple to go to.
- This pumpkin curry soup is on my list to try, though since we avoid soy I'll leave the tofu out.
Enjoy and be well! What's your favorite thing to do in the fall?